A competitive compensation and benefits package will be made available to the chosen candidate.
4 Year Degree
The President and CEO is responsible for all aspects of operations for the Chamber of Commerce of West Alabama and reports directly to the Board of Directors. The President and CEO provides vision, strategic direction, and management for the programs and personnel of the organization. The President and CEO demonstrates expertise in strategic planning, program and personnel management, member sales and services, resource development, nonprofit governance and operations, financial management, public relations, public policy and advocacy, and community, economic, and workforce development. The President and CEO serves as lead spokesman for all Chamber functions and strategic initiatives, representing the Chamber’s interests to the media, elected officials, and all community and organizational stakeholders. The President and CEO is a dynamic leader with the ability to manage and support current programs while developing new initiatives and collaborative partnerships with other business and community organizations to achieve strategic objectives.
Specifically, the President and CEO is responsible for the following:
• Board Relations and Strategic Direction. Builds and maintains strong collaborative relationships with members of the Chamber’s highly engaged and influential Board of Directors. Through servant leadership, partners with the Board to ensure execution of the Chamber’s strategic objectives, in proactively confronting pressing community issues as they arise, and in advancing a diverse and inclusive business climate.
• Organizational Leadership. Fosters an organizational culture of results-oriented collaboration and innovation through bold and visionary leadership. Provides leadership and oversight of the professional staff, consistent with organizational needs and financial resources. Works in partnership with the Executive Director of West AlabamaWorks! to support workforce contracts, grants, and services. Sets a clear vision for goals and expectations while ensuring an environment of partnership, creativity, innovation, member service, and entrepreneurial thinking. Actively engages with and provides strategic guidance to all volunteer-driven councils, committees, and affiliate groups.
• Financial Management. Provides fiscally responsible administration of the organization’s resources and ensures long-term, sustainable financial health. Develops annual budgets and financial management plans that ensure fiscal integrity and prudence, including oversight of internal audits of financial and operating systems. Drives the overall performance of the Chamber’s membership activities, including membership acquisition and retention, and oversees all revenue producing events, programs, and engagement initiatives.
• Advocacy. Serves as the primary advocate and convener to advance the Chamber’s strategic plan and annual public policy agenda before government, business, media, and other community and organizational stakeholders. Provides strategic advocacy assistance to partner organizations on issues of importance to the general welfare of the community. Collaborates effectively with elected officials and other leaders to influence outcomes, with the goal of advancing the economic vitality and quality of life of the community.
• External Relations and Strategic Partnerships. Serves as a dynamic spokesperson and primary organizational advocate with all external stakeholders. Develops and sustains strong working relationships with business and industry leaders, elected officials at all levels of government, education leaders, members of the media, and leaders of civic and community organizations. Identifies strategic partnership opportunities within the community, state, and nation to advance the organization’s mission and objectives.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
The Chamber seeks a highly respected, inspirational leader with a genuine passion for advancing the organization’s mission and priorities. The ideal candidate will be a dynamic and innovative leader who builds on the Chamber’s strong legacy, while bringing fresh and bold ideas to the organization. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience implementing a visionary strategic plan in collaboration with a diverse and influential body of organizational stakeholders. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 10 years of executive-level leadership and personnel management experience with a chamber of commerce or nonprofit organization of similar scale and complexity, with demonstrated working knowledge of event planning, program development, business, public policy, community development, economic development, and workforce development.
Specific experience and qualifications will include:
• Demonstrated experience working effectively with a diverse Board of Directors to advance a nonprofit organization’s priorities and achieve impactful outcomes. • Exceptional confidence with stellar verbal and written communication skills to serve as the principal spokesperson for the Chamber and local business community. A passionate public advocate for the mission of the organization, willing to responsibly challenge the status quo and demonstrate political courage in speaking out for Chamber and community interests. • Proven track record of creating, planning, and executing high-quality events and programs to actively engage an organization’s membership base, drive non-dues revenue, and strategically advance organizational priorities. • Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills. Politically savvy, with the ability to relate well, build trust, and drive consensus with a variety of internal and external stakeholders. • Demonstrated record of successfully leading, advocating for, and advancing complex, multi-disciplinary business and public policy issues in collaboration with multiple stakeholders. A reputation for operating on a bipartisan basis and proactively engaging diverse viewpoints. • A servant leadership style that fosters a collaborative, results-oriented work environment that empowers staff members to accomplish organizational objectives. Proven ability to attract, engage, develop, and retain top caliber talent. • Operates with the highest level of integrity, intellectual agility, creativity, and vision. Nimble leadership style with an openness to new ideas. Energetic with a positive attitude toward overcoming challenges. • Proven record of promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of business and civic life.
The Chamber of Commerce of West Alabama is a membership-based, business advocacy organization serving over 65,000 working men and women through more than 1,200-member business enterprises, civic organizations, and educational institutions. The organization traces its roots to June 1, 1900, with the founding of The Commercial Club. More than 122 years later, the Chamber remains the largest and most prominent business organization in the Tuscaloosa area. The mission of the Chamber is to “provide the leadership, vision and catalyst for the advancement of the economic prosperity, business climate, and quality of life for the entire community.”